But as many struggling Angelenos’ know, during the holiday week, the cost of flying back home just isn’t affordable. So, if this sounds familiar to you and you find yourself in Los Angeles this Thanksgiving, miles away from your family, here are 3 ways to show them how much you care.
1. Skype / Facetime
- Set up a specific time in advance with your family.
- Remove any distractions and make sure the lighting is good so they can see you.
- Test Skype/Facetime with a family member a few days before so there won’t be any issues on Thanksgiving day when you’re looking forward to seeing your whole family.
- Share stories of what you’ve been doing, show off any new items you have (if you’re in a new place, why not give them a virtual tour), and if there’s anyone celebrating Thanksgiving with you, introduce them!
2. Send a personal letter
- Don’t just buy a card and sign it, that’s too commercial.
- Go pick out cute stationary or just grab a notebook and start writing.
- Include one of your favorite memories that you have shared with them and tell them why it’s so special to you.
- Tell them what you admire about them.
- Let them know why you are thankful they are in your life.
- Include a picture or something special with the letter to give to them as a keepsake.
3. Do the same activity at the same time
- Watch the same show together. The show can be the Thanksgiving Day Parade, a TV show or any movie. Call and/or text each other to share your thoughts during the show.
- Make ice cream sundeas at the same time. Once you have made yours, take a picture and text it to the other person. Be sure to splurge on the toppings! Enjoy!!
- Wear the same clothing / accessory item. For example, this might mean wearing the same bracelet or necklace, wearing the same socks, or wearing the same shirt. Take pictures of you in the item to send to your other family members and have them do the same.
Now, since you aren’t traveling for the holiday, it’s time to think about how you are going to spend your Thanksgiving week in Los Angeles! Everyone says that the next best thing to being around family is spending time with friends.
So go gather up your friends and plan something exciting! See LA in a completely new way by going on one of our top rated adventure rides or tours!! With Sunnyday Scoot you are sure to have fun, laugh, and make memories that will last a lifetime!!